Monthly Archives: February 2011

Getting the "windows azure web role entry point has stopped working" when using Visual Studio 2010 and the Windows Azure Tools for Visual Studio

I’ve been doing more and more Azure work, and because of my partner Brian Randell I’ve adopted the TFS lifestyle.

After I updated to the most recent version of the Windows Azure Tools for Visual Studio I started to get this error:

"windows azure web role entry point has stopped working"

azureerror

If I debugged the project I got

System.ServiceModel.CommunicationObjectFaultedException was unhandled
  Message=The communication object, System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel, cannot be used for communication because it is in the Faulted state.
  Source=mscorlib
  StackTrace:
    Server stack trace:
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Close(TimeSpan timeout)
    Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at System.ServiceModel.ICommunicationObject.Close(TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.ClientBase`1.System.ServiceModel.ICommunicationObject.Close(TimeSpan timeout)
       at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Hosts.WaIISHost.Program.Main(String[] args)
  InnerException:

Either way I was forced to shutdown Visual Studio and reopen it to get the project to deploy to the local dev fabric again.

Of course I turned off the “Just My Code” debugging setting and set the debugger to break on all exceptions and low and behold I got the real exception:

realerror

The problem is that the web.config is marked as read-only because it is checked into source control.

 

Moral of this story – if you are developing with Windows Azure and using source control – you always have to keep your web.config checked out.  Not sure if a fix is coming from MS – but I thought this might be helpful to someone out there.